aardvarc image A.A.R.D.V.A.R.C.
An Abuse, Rape, and Domestic Violence Aid and Resource Collection
Custom Search

Abuse in Relationships Sexual Victimization Stalking Statistics Victim Assistance Bookstore

Recognizing Abuse
Reactions to Abuse
Aspects of Abuse
Info & Resources

Understanding the Difference Between a Protective Order and a Peace Order

MARYLAND: Domestic Violence Resources


If you have a current Protection From Abuse Order (PFA) from a court against your abuser, or if your abuser has been convicted of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor, then Federal law states that it is illegal for your abuser to buy or have a gun in their possession.

You MUST ASK THE JUDGE to specifically write in your order that the abuser cannot buy or have a gun while the order is in effect and to require that your abuser to give any guns to the police, or require the police to go to the abuser's house and get them. The guns then go to either the county sheriff or court clerk of stolen property. The district attorney in the county where the gun(s) was taken away can then file to have them destroyed.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the domestic violence agency in your area immediately.

Maryland Domestic Violence Advocates & Support Contacts
STATEWIDE The Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence
Maryland Crime Victims Resource Center
Family Violence Council Victim Services
Allegany CountyFamily Crisis Center301-759-9244
Anne Arundel County YWCA DV Services
Domestic Violence Pet Support Program
Baltimore County Family Crisis Center
Family Services
House of Ruth
Turn Around
Calvert CountyCrisis Intervention410-535-1121
Carroll CountyFamily Services410-857-0077
Caroline CountyCouncil on Family Violence800-927-4673
Cecil CountyDV Crisis Center410-996-0333
Charles CountyCenter for Abused Persons301-645-3336
Dorchester CountyCouncil on Family Violence800-927-4673
Frederick CountyHeartly House301-662-8800
Garrett CountyThe Dove Center301-334-9000
Harford CountySpouse Abuse Resource Center410-836-8430
Howard CountyDomestic Violence Center800-752-0191
Kent CountyCouncil on Family Violence800-927-4673
Montgomery CountyAbused Persons Program240-777-4673
Prince George's CountyFamily Crisis Center301-731-1203
Queen Anne's CountyCouncil on Family Violence800-927-4673
Somerset CountyLife Crisis Center410-749-4357
St. Mary's CountyWalden/Sierra, Inc.301-863-6661
Talbot CountyCouncil on Family Violence800-927-4673
Washington CountyC.A.S.A.301-739-8975
Wicomico CountyLife Crisis Center410-749-4357
Worcester CountyLife Crisis Center410-749-4357

Home--- About--- Support Us--- Poetry--- Legal & Copyright--- Contact

Last Updated: March 3, 2011