aardvarc image A.A.R.D.V.A.R.C.
An Abuse, Rape, and Domestic Violence Aid and Resource Collection
Custom Search

Abuse in Relationships Sexual Victimization Stalking Statistics Victim Assistance Bookstore

Recognizing Abuse
Reactions to Abuse
Aspects of Abuse
Info & Resources

MAINE: Domestic Violence Resources


If you have a current Protection From Abuse Order (PFA) from a court against your abuser, or if your abuser has been convicted of a felony or domestic violence misdemeanor, then Federal law states that it is illegal for your abuser to buy or have a gun in their possession.

You MUST ASK THE JUDGE to specifically write in your order that the abuser cannot buy or have a gun while the order is in effect and to require that your abuser to give any guns to the police, or require the police to go to the abuser's house and get them. The guns then go to either the county sheriff or court clerk of stolen property. The district attorney in the county where the gun(s) was taken away can then file to have them destroyed.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the domestic violence agency in your area immediately.

Maine Unemployment Insurance Law Protects Victims of Domestic Violence.

See Maine Statute Title 26, Chapter 13: Unemployment compensation §1043(23)(B)(3) which says that misconduct cannot be found soley due to actions taken by the employee that were necessary to protect the employee or an immediate family member from domestic violence, as long as the employee made all reasonable efforts to preserve the employment. For more info, visit the Maine Dept. of Labor.

Maine Domestic Violence Advocates & Support Contacts
STATEWIDE Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence
Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men and Women
Adroscoggin CountyAbused Women's Advocacy800-559-2927
Aroostook CountyBattered Women's Project 800-439-2323
Cumberland CountyFamily Crisis Services800-537-6066
Franklin CountyAbused Women's Advocacy800-559-2927
Hancock CountyThe Next Step800-315-5579
Kennebec CountyFamily Violence Project877-890-7788
Knox CountyNew Hope800-522-3304
Lincoln CountyNew Hope800-522-3304
Oxford CountyAbused Women's Advocacy800-559-2927
Penobscot CountySpruce Run800-863-9909
Piscataquis CountyWomancare888-564-8165
Sagadahoc CountyFamily Crisis Services800-537-6066
Somerset CountyFamily Violence Project800-890-7788
Waldo CountyNew Hope800-522-3304
Washington CountyPeaceful Choices888-604-8692
York CountyCaring Unlimited800-239-7298

Home--- About--- Support Us--- Poetry--- Legal & Copyright--- Contact

Last Updated: March 3, 2011